Vernon Township Indiana
Please read carefully regarding a change in the process for Township Assistance beginning on 3/23/20 in response to limiting COVID-19 exposure
Vernon Township Indiana is here to help if you are in a financial emergency situation. We can provide assistance with rent and utilities if you have an eviction or disconnect notice. Our team will also refer you to additional resources, training programs and local charities to help you get back on track.
Eligibility for assistance is determined on a case by case basis but everyone needs to meet the following criteria:
1. Be a Vernon Township resident.
2. Provide completed forms and documents required for the application (see list below).
3. Sign application form. All adults in the household must sign the form.
4. Discuss completed application via phone with Township Assistance Coordinator.
Application Process (As of March 23, 2020)
As a result of the "Stay Home Order" issued by the governor communications regarding Township Assistance will be modified to be completed via telephone and electronic documents.
Step 1: Fill out the application form. If you need help completing the application please call the number below. Anyone living in the household over the age of 18 must sign the application. New 3/30/20 is an online form that can be completed using the link provided in the blue box above. If you are unable to use the link to complete the application please contact the trustee's office to receive the application via email or go over the application over the phone.
Step 2: Gather all the required documents (see below list). Your application will not be considered until all the required documents are presented.
Step 3: Schedule an appointment for a phone interview with the Trustee's office either by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 317- 485-7327 x1.
Step 4: Interview (via phone)
Our Township Assistance Intake Coordinator will review your application and documents submitted carefully. Once the review process is done, we may have additional questions regarding your application.
Step 5: The Trustee has up to 3 business days to make a decision on your case once all information has been provided.
a. If approved, you will be notified by phone or email and asked to sign the final paperwork. We will then handle the payment directly to the vendor.
b. If denied you can appeal at the Hancock County Commissioner's office.
List of Required Documents (during the Govenor's order all documents will be transmitted electronically or mailed to the Trustee's office:
1. Form TA-1 completed and signed by all adults in the household. Fill out the application form in advance if possible to speed up the process. Use the button provided above to complete the online application. If you cannot complete the online application contact the trustee's office and a copy will be emailed to you.
2. Proof of Residency (Valid driver's license, Indiana ID Card, bill or bank statement).
3. Social Security cards for all members of the household. If Social Security card is lost, please submit proof or renewal request.
4. Copy of birth certificates of all children in the household.
5. Proof of all income for the last 30 days for every person over the age of 18 and not attending school (Pay stub, unemployment benefits, State assistance, Child support, Disability, Food Stamps etc).
6. Bank Statements (Checking and Savings) showing transactions of the last 60 days (including transactions between your last statement and appointment date).
7. Current lease or most recent mortgage statement.
8. Copies of bills for which assistance is requested showing the disconnect or eviction notice.
9. Medical information (If Applicable) : Doctor's statement pertaining to the illness or disability.
Vernon Township Office
700 W. Broadway St.
Fortville, IN 46040
Effective immediately, to limit exposure, our office will not be open for walk-in. However, someone is available to answer questions via phone during the hours listed below:
Monday - Thursday
8:45am - 10:15am
We will schedule phone calls as needed outside the hours above. Please contact us to make arrangements: