Vernon Township Indiana
Please read carefully regarding a change in the process for Township Assistance beginning on 7/6/20
Anyone entering our office for a scheduled appointment will be required to wear a mask. In addition we will adhere to social distancing guidelines in our office.
Prior to any scheduled appointments applicants will be called to answer a series of questions regarding
COVID-19 symptoms or exposure in the last 14 days.
Vernon Township Indiana is here to help if you are in a financial emergency situation. We can provide assistance with rent and utilities if you have an eviction or disconnect notice. Our team will also refer you to additional resources, training programs and local charities to help you get back on track.
Eligibility for assistance is determined on a case by case basis but everyone needs to meet the following criteria:
1. Be a Vernon Township resident.
2. Provide completed forms and documents required for the application (see list below).
3. Sign application form. All adults in the household must sign the form.
4. Discuss completed application via phone with Township Assistance Coordinator.
Application Process (As of July 6, 2020)
Until the health crisis has subsided communications regarding Township Assistance will be modified to be completed via telephone and electronic documents as much as possible.
Step 1: Fill out the application form. If you need help completing the application please call the number below. Anyone living in the household over the age of 18 must sign the application. New is an online form that can be completed using the link provided in the blue box above. If you are unable to use the link to complete the application please contact the trustee's office to receive the application via email or in person in the lobby of our office.
Step 2: Gather all the required documents (see below list). Your application will not be considered until all the required documents are presented. Documents must be provided after submission of application via paper copy or email.
Step 3: Schedule an appointment for a phone or in person interview as necessary with the Trustee's office either by email email@example.com or by phone 317- 485-7327 x1. Appointments will be scheduled for the following times: 9:00 - 9:45 am or 10:00 - 10:45 with time in between interviews for cleaning and sanitizing.
Step 4: Interview (via phone or in person if necessary)
Our Township Assistance Intake Coordinator will review your application and documents submitted carefully. Once the review process is done, we may have additional questions regarding your application.
Step 5: The Trustee has up to 3 business days to make a decision on your case once all information has been provided.
a. If approved, you will be notified by phone or email and asked to sign the final paperwork. We will then handle the payment directly to the vendor.
b. If denied you can appeal at the Hancock County Commissioner's office.
List of Required Documents (during the health emergency all documents will be transmitted electronically,mailed to the Trustee's office, or dropped off minimizing contact):
1. Form TA-1 completed and signed by all adults in the household. Fill out the application form. Use the button provided above to complete the online application. If you cannot complete the online application contact the trustee's office and a copy will be emailed to you.
2. Proof of Residency (Valid driver's license, Indiana ID Card, bill or bank statement).
3. Social Security cards for all members of the household. If Social Security card is lost, please submit proof or renewal request.
4. Copy of birth certificates of all children in the household.
5. Proof of all income for the last 30 days for every person over the age of 18 and not attending school (pay stub, unemployment benefits, state assistance, child support, disability, SNAP benefits etc). Government stimulus payments will be considered income during the health crisis.
6. Bank Statements (checking and savings) showing transactions of at least the last 60 days (including transactions between your last statement and appointment date).
7. Current lease or most recent mortgage statement.
8. Copies of bills for which assistance is requested showing the disconnect or eviction notice.
9. Medical information (If Applicable) : Doctor's statement pertaining to the illness or disability.
Vernon Township Office
602 Vitality Drive, Suite A
Fortville, IN 46040
Walk in is available at our office, as well as pick up of applications in our entry. Please call to make an appointment to discuss your application.
Monday - Thursday
9:00 am - 11:00 am
We will schedule phone calls as needed outside the hours above. Please contact us to make arrangements: