ASK THE VERNON TOWNSHIP FIRE CHIEF
Friends of Vernon Township Fire Department,
On Tuesday (May 12) starting at 6:00 p.m., you have the opportunity to meet our new VTFD Fire Chief Chad Abel and learn more about our Fire Department. Over the next few weeks, you are going to hear a lot of the formation of a Fire Territory so you know there will be discussion of our big funding problem!
Chief Abel will be hosting an online session cleverly called: "Ask the Fire Chief". We encourage you, your family (yes, kids too) and friends to call in and ask questions. Please share this invitation with your Home Owner's Association, local businesses, clubs and others who might be interested.
You are invited to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: ASK THE FIRE CHIEF Time: May 12, 2020 06:00 PM Indiana (East) Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87040182860?pwd=dFVsZm9IQkd1ZHZJTVNpNWJsMlkydz09 Meeting ID: 870 4018 2860 Password: 413357 One tap mobile +13126266799,,87040182860#,,1#,413357# US (Chicago) +19292056099,,87040182860#,,1#,413357# US (New York) Dial by your location +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago) +1 929 205 6099 US (New York) +1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown) +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston) +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose) +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma) Meeting ID: 870 4018 2860 Password: 413357 Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/k9avnZVyw
What type of questions should you ask? Ask any questions you have about our fire stations, firefighters, paramedics, training, fire engines, ambulance or daily living on station! Below are some of the most commonly asked questions. Feel free to use these and add to the list! We will post the FAQs with answers on our website after the session.
1. Have you gone into a burning building? In McCordsville or Fortville or on a farm in this area? Recently?
2. How does working a 24 hour shift affect your family life?
3. How do you eat breakfast, lunch and dinner at the firehouse? Does the Township pay for your food?
4. What other calls do you go on besides fires? Do you have an ambulance?
5. Why do so many fire engines and ambulances show up for small accidents?
6. Do we have full time firefighters at VTFD? Part-time? Paid per run? How much money do they make?
7. We used to have volunteer firefighters. What happened? Why is the volunteer model going away?
8. What is the difference between an EMT and a Paramedic? How much money do they make?
9. How many runs do you have every day? in a year? 10. What type of equipment is on a fire engine? How old are the VTFD fire engines? How much does a fire engine cost?
11. VTFD brought EMS (ambulance) in house starting in January 2020. The ambulance is old and there are a high number of runs. Are we getting a new ambulance soon?
12. Why are firefighters leaving the Fortville station to go to McCordsville and other locations? Does that mean Fortville doesn't have enough coverage?
13. When will we get a full time station in McCordsville? Why doesn't the 2nd largest community in Hancock County have a full time station?
14. Do we have mutual aid? Do surrounding fire departments in Fishers, Lawrence and Buck Creek come help us? Do we help them?
15. Over the past few years there has been a lot of newspaper coverage about problems with fire funding in Vernon Township. What is the problem?
16. So will my taxes go up when a Fire Territory is created? Will we vote on the Fire Territory like we do for the school referendum?
In addition, The Fire Territory hearings are scheduled for May 13, May 27 and June 17 at 6 p.m. We hope you will also join one of these sessions. The links are located on the Vernon Township Facebook page and at www.vernontownship.us
Thank you for your support of our community and your local fire department!