The Fortville Volunteer fire department was first established in August of 1889. The group was first formed by two volunteers who funded their first truck with 100 dollars. The first Fortville Volunteer fire house was on Merril and Staat Street. They were one of the first departments to use two way radios, as well as they are the oldest volunteer department in the county. Originally, they had no region, they would just help anyone they could. One of the biggest hurdles they have faced is keeping up with the constantly changing times and technology. As new technology arises so does firefighting tactics and equipment, and in turn this takes extra funds.