The McCordsville Vol. Fire Dept was established in 1952. Bill Silvey was the first fire chief. The first fire station was at member Chalmer Swarts' garage. The first fire truck was a 1948 International purchased from Standard Oil Co. The truck had been driven on an oil delivery route by current advisory board member Gary Sharretts father, Forrest. Unfortunately, Chalmers garage caught fire on the night of Dec 12, 1962 destroying the truck. The members were able to salvage the tank which they put on a Ford chassis and retrofitted it to pump water. Without a station, the members purchased some property on Form Street from Hancock County Farm Bureau Co-Op. They all pitched in to build the current station in 1963. The brick for the building came from the demolished school at Mohawk. Many evenings were spent cleaning and laying brick. The original building consisted of two bays with a meeting room and restrooms. Additions were added to the building in 1982 and 2002. With a new station came an upgrade in trucks. In1967 the department purchased a 1947 Diamond T pumper from Warren Township for $550. In an era before pagers members responded to runs by listening for the siren to sound off at the station. If at home fire alerts came by telephone. One solid continuous ring meant an emergency. Certain members had buttons on their phones they could push to activate the siren at the station. In the early days, our ambulance service was provided by the Oaklandon Volunteer Fire Dept. Through the dedication and hard work by many people McCordsville Volunteer Fire Department has and always will proudly serve our community!